August 22, 2009

Predatoress Interview on Fascinating Authors

Q & A with Fascinating Authors' Penny Sansevieri



Q: What excites you most about your book’s topic? Why did you choose it?


A: The subject of women who are forced to live at the edge of society has always fascinated me. From Hester Prynne to Anna Karenina, females have suffered for giving into compulsions beyond their control. Beautiful, strong women paying severe prices for their choices, is a topic that intrigues me.


Add to this the eternal questions about the meaning of life and death. The question, “Is immortality a desirable state?” is an inquiry that can have many intriguing answers– from Kurzweil’s “yes,” to Emma Gabor’s “no.” No, not when immortality perpetuates the bloodshed that we currently have on earth.


Q: How long did the book take you from start to finish?


A: Two years. I wrote it in one year and let it languish. Then I resurrected it when I saw the public’s acceptance of Twilight. I had been a reluctant vampire too but thought no one would like to hear my story.


Q: What aspect of writing the book did you find particularly challenging?


A: Making myself understood as a character who meant no harm and had a great desire to do good. My deeds make me look otherwise. Also, the way I treat my friends does not show me to my advantage. I wanted to make myself likable but also to tell the truth about how I behaved: Imperious and controlling. The way I lied to the parents who loved me with immense devotion was also not admirable, causing me to appear even less likable.


Q: What surprised you the most about the book writing process?


A: I found myself feeling horrendous guilt as I wrote about my experiences–especially where I was continually lying to my parents about my true identity. I thought I would be able to give a scientific, factual account and as I was writing, tears were gushing hotly out of my eyes, to the point where I could hardly see.


Q: Did you have any favorite experiences when writing your book?


A: Finding out that I had a sense of humor about the situation I was in. My writing kept that ironic spark that made me enjoy re-reading it. And re-read it I did! I re-read it so many times, there isn’t one word that I haven’t weighed, turned over, and examined.


Q: What do you hope your readers will gain from reading your book?


A: A compelling journey to a part of the world few people visit. A first-hand account of what it feels like to be a young female vampire who is also a precocious scientist. Insight into forgiveness and mercy.


Q: What projects are you currently working on?


A: I am working on my website Predatoress.com and a number of supporting blogs.


Q: Is writing your sole career? If not, what else do you do?


A: Yes, writing is my sole means of support.


Q: Did you do any research for your books, or did you write from experience?


A: I’m from the town of Sopron and did not need to research it, except for historical research on vampires of the region.


Q: How did you come up with your title?


A: It was originally The Hungarian Bride. My publisher suggested Predatoress with the subtitle Hungarian Bride.


Q: What books have influenced you the most?


A: Bram Stoker’s Dracula, Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein, and anything from Edgar Allen Poe.


Q: Who was your publisher and why did you choose them?


A: Newmedia Publishing because they are willing to take a chance on unusual topics and unknown authors who show great promise.



Rather listen? Here is the audio podcast.







No comments: